At Gerringong Anglican, we believe the Bible to be God’s word and that it is therefore the supreme authority in all matters of Christian faith.
Our beliefs are well summarised in this common doctrinal statement.
We believe in:
- The divine inspiration and infallibility of Holy Scripture, as originally given, and its supreme authority in all matters of faith and conduct.
- The unity of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit in the Godhead.
- The universal sinfulness and guilt of human nature since the fall, rendering people subject to God’s judgement.
- The conception of Jesus Christ by the Holy Spirit and his birth of the Virgin Mary.
- Redemption from the guilt, penalty and power of sin only through the sacrificial death (as our Representative and Substitute) of Jesus Christ, the Incarnate Son of God.
- The bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.
- The necessity of the work of the Holy Spirit to make the death of Christ effective to the individual sinner, granting him or her repentance toward God and faith in Jesus Christ.
- The indwelling and work of the Holy Spirit in the believer.
- The expectation of the return of the Lord Jesus Christ as judge of all people.
Given these beliefs, particularly that the Bible is God’s inspired word and that trusting Jesus as God’s Son is the only way to be restored to friendship with God, these things are the focus of our weekly services via relevant and applied Bible teaching. In this way we not only communicate the truth of the gospel to people who are not yet believers but we equip individuals to grow as God's people and our congregations to grow together as God's people.