The town of Gerringong developed in the 1830s & 1840s as European cedar-cutters & pastoralists settled the area, which until then had been part of the country of the Dharawal people. The first Anglican church service in Gerringong was held on September 30th, 1855, in a new timber church building paid for by voluntary donations. This building was officially opened in 1866, and served the community until the Great Fire of Gerringong destroyed it on July 1st, 1872. Anglican services were held in the Congregational Church for two years, until the present stone church building designed by E. Blacket was opened on August 9th, 1874.
For the next 114 years St George’s Gerringong was part of the parish of Christ Church Kiama, with ministry provided by catechists & assistant ministers on the staff team there. In 1930 the building now known as the Cottage was purchased and relocated to Gerringong to accommodate these ministers & their families. In 1954 the church at St James’ Foxground (built in 1850 & again in 1880 on land donated from the Cullen farm) was destroyed by fire. That congregation decided to join the fellowship in Gerringong, using the insurance proceeds to build the church hall in 1966.
During the centenary year of 1974, the process for St George’s to become an independent parish was begun, which included having a resident minister. To that end the current Rectory was built in 1982, financed partly by the sale of the church land in Foxground.
In 1988 St George’s Gerringong became a provisional parish. The new parish included the congregation at St Peter’s Shoalhaven Heads, which had been meeting since 1955 as part of Berry parish with a church building officially opened in 1961. We became a full parish in 2001 and on 18th November 2010 proudly celebrated St Peter’s Shoalhaven Heads becoming a provisional parish itself.
Of course, this is more than a story of buildings; the real history of Gerringong Anglican Church is the ongoing story of a church family of faithful followers of Jesus Christ. We have gathered here in fellowship, learning from God’s Word, worship, obedience, service, outreach & love for over 160 years.
May we continue to know God and to make Him known!
Gerringong Anglican Church (also known as St George's Anglican Church Gerringong) is very easy to find. Driving into Gerringong from the north or south we can be found at the top of the hill in the centre of town on the corner of Fern and Blackwood Streets. Parking can be found on Fern St or you can park on the church grounds. Enter via Blackwood St and park either on the grass at the front of the church or further down the driveway behind the rectory.
To know God and to make Him known.
In practice, this means we are committed to the truth of the Bible, the saving power of Jesus Christ, helping people to start a friendship with Jesus by telling the world about Him and to grow in that relationship with Him.